I see a lot of poll cards on social media like “Salt on Watermelon?”
It got me thinking about memes, the idea of sharing fun stuff about ourselves, and, through my usual long, lengthy, long thought process, about what would be my dream job if I wasn’t a professional photographer. Forgive me if these seem pretentious, but hey, dream job. All these jobs assume I would earn a decent wage…
- Desert trail guide
- Ski instructor
- Any pilot job, but especially fixed-wing medical aircraft pilot or flight instructor
- Antenna tower rigger and/or antenna installer
- Peach grower and seller; orchardist
- Writer, but only if I am left alone to create my own narratives
- Travel journalist/blogger
- Radio announcer/DJ
- “Actor!” Dan Marsh suggested on the phone, and while the profession of acting is a fascinating career, the truth is that most of us are actors most of the time. But sure, yes, actor.
A young coworker recently asked me if I would retire if I won the lottery. I gave her an unhesitant “yes,” but she was incredulous, since she is just starting her career as a journalist. “I love my job,” I told her, “But I love my wife even more, and if we had the chance to be together all the time, travel, make pictures, fly. Maybe we’d stay here, buy a new RV. Maybe we’d move to Santa Fe or Taos.”
I would love to hear about your dream job… let me know in the comments!