My readers know that my wife Abby and I have tons of great memories from our travels, which I share and celebrate on our travel blog, The Traveller. We love to drive out west, but sometimes we head north to the Dakotas or south to New Orleans where my sister and brother-in-law live, or fly to Baltimore to see Abby’s daughter Chele, husband Tom, and our grandson Paul. As happy as Abby and I are in our daily lives, these adventures are definitely peak moments.
Saturday, in the relative quiet of the weekend newsroom, I heard Randy ask, “Hey, Richard. Which hotel did you stay in when you visited Las Vegas last time?”
“The Cosmopolitan. Why?” I answered.
“Because it’s on fire.” I walked over to his desk to see the television next to it tuned to a news station. Sure enough, the Cosmo was on fire. It was the pool on the 14th floor, a spot Abby and I actually know fairly well, since it was the spot we visited most often at the Cosmo on our 2011 trip. We don’t swim, but as it turns out, the Cosmo is a pet friendly hotel (one of the reasons we like it), and the dog park, with its fake fire hydrants and poopy bag dispensers, is next to the pool.
Randy’s been to Las Vegas several times himself, and soon he and I were comparing notes about the new hotels, old hotels, torn down hotels, photo ops day and night, and so on. It was fun, and it was fun to remember the great time Abby and I had at The Cosmopolitan.