I performed a short social media experiment today. I briefly reactivated my Facebook account (which only involves signing in). I then went to my list of “Friends,” and deleted any of them who…
- I didn’t really know
- I didn’t actually like
- Posted vast amounts about people I don’t know
- Regularly reposted things they found on other Facebook sites
- Posted anything about soap operas
- I originally added because I knew them in high school or college but don’t actually know in my life now
- Added me because I am a public figure
- I originally added because I knew them from another social media site
- Had excellent blogs but stopped posting to them when they joined Facebook
Number of friends when I started: 206.
Number when I finished: eight, four of whom are blood relatives, and one is my wife.